Written by Priya Sinha , Edited by Parmita Uniyal | New Delhi | Published: October 14, 2014 11:43 am
Tulsi is also known as the queen of herbs. Due to its holistic properties Tulsi is widely used in many ayurvedic and naturopathic medicines. Not only its leaves but also its flower has the properties to fight a number of diseases.
A single Tulsi plant can help you get rid of ten health problems.
1. Fever: The juice of Tulsi leaves is very useful as it helps to bring down the fever.
2. Common Cold: Chewing Tulsi leaves on an empty stomach will help you get rid of cold and flu.
3. Sore throat: Boil few Tulsi leaves in your drinking water and use it for gargling in case of a sore throat. It is also very useful for the patients who are suffering from asthma and bronchitis.
4. Headache: Headache due to heat is very common. So just make a paste of the basil leaves and sandalwood and apply it to the forehead. Its cooling effects will definitely make you feel relaxed and calm.
5. Eye problems: Black basil juice plays a very important role for eyes diseases. A few drops of black basil juice in the eyes can cure sore eyes.
6. Dental problem: Mix the dried leaves of basil powder with mustard oil to make a paste, massage your gums with that paste and you can also use this paste for brushing your teeth as it will help to prevent bad breath and disease like pyorrhea.
7. Skin disorder: The juice of basil can also be used to cure several skin problems such as – leucoderma.
8. Insect bites: Insect bites are very common especially during the monsoon season, hence the paste of the root of basil can be applied on that area where insect bites with its stings.
9. Kidney stone: A mixture of honey and juice of basil leaves will result in expelling renal stones through the urinary tract.
10. Reduces stress: Nowadays, stress is very common in our day-to-day life. If you don’t want to have a stressful life then try to eat 12 leaves of basil on a daily basis. These leaves work as an “adaptogen” or anti-stress agent.
(Views expressed by the author are personal)
For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App
My favourite herb: Tulsi
The one plant that you are guaranteed to find in my home is Tulsi, which is Sanskrit for Holy Basil. In fact, you will find the Tulsi plant in many Indian homes, as it is considered to be an auspicious plant that brings health, wealth, and prosperity. I will also let you know that Tulsi is not only my favorite plant, but it is also my favorite herb.
As we all know, plants in general purify the air, so in that sense, its always good to have plants around. Tulsi radiates positive energy and purifies the environment from any negativity that may be around. Beyond that, I love Tulsi because of all of its healing properties.
First of all, one of the easiest home remedies for a cough is Tulsi. For any kind of cough, drink Tulsi tea. Boil one cup of water with about 3 to 4 fresh Tulsi leaves and drink the tea at least 4 times a day and it will cure the worst of coughs. Fresh leaves work best, but dry leaves are fine as well.
Tulsi is pungent and bitter in taste; therefore, it decreases Vata and Kapha and slightly increases Pitta. However, because the quality of Tulsi is light and dry, it can actually balance Pitta as well. Tulsi has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It can be applied topically for skin lesions and fungal infections. It decreases pain and swelling and is recommended for fevers. It is excellent for all respiratory related imbalances, such as coughing, asthma, and pulmonary tuberculosis. Tulsi improves digestion and is especially good for the colon. It is also an excellent herb for the nervous system and all autoimmune diseases, as Tulsi promotes and enhances the functioning of Ojas. And the list continues. Depending on the condition, the leaf, root, or seeds are used. Tulsi is one of the most potent, sattwic (pure) herbs.
If I ever feel a cough or cold coming on, and even for family and friends, I simply boil a cup of water with Tulsi and fresh ginger and I am able to prevent an illness from coming forth. Doesn’t that sound rather simple? I would also like to add that drinking Tulsi tea with ginger will also prevent your chances of catching the swine flu, as it does increase Ojas, your immunity.
The entire science and knowledge of Ayurveda is actually quite simple with a simple approach to health. There is a science behind the combination of spices and when you combine various spices and herbs, you can heal just about any imbalance.
Health and happiness,