Criminal Investigator Cover Letter
Criminal Investigators work for different kinds of agencies and are in charge with investigating crimes. Essential responsibilities of a Criminal Investigator include gathering evidence, monitoring criminal activity, interviewing witnesses, collaborating with law enforcement, making sure all laws are followed at the crime scene, taking safety precautions, packaging and transporting evidence, and updating records. Types of crimes investigated by these experts include drug trafficking, organized crime, human rights violations, and financial crimes among others.
The ideal candidate for this job should be able to demonstrate the following abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Legal knowledge
- Investigative skills
- A meticulous approach to work
- Integrity and work ethics
- Attention to details and observational skills
- Time management
- Effective communication
- Computer competences
- Training in criminal justice or forensic science
Those interested in a Criminal Investigator career can check relevant skills and experience in the cover letter sample displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Criminal Investigator Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Edwards:
Upon learning of your need for an experienced Criminal Investigator to come on board with the City of Richmond, I quickly decided to submit the enclosed resume detailing my experience and credentials. As a driven and highly analytical professional with 14+ years of experience leading evidence collection, forensic management, and data analysis, and thorough documentation to identify and detain suspects and solve crimes, I am expertly prepared to surpass your expectations.
Throughout my career, I have amassed a breadth of expertise in performing top-flight crime investigations and analyses, leading motivated and productive teams, and generating detailed and accurate reports while maintaining a dedicated focus on preventing potential future criminal activity. My proven success in effectively communicating across internal and external departments—along with my expertise in using databases to extract crucial information—positions me to make a substantial and positive contribution to your organization.
Consider the following highlights of my experience:
- More than 14 years of crime scene investigation and management expertise gained during my tenure as an Criminal Investigator; managed case assignments, obtained search warrants, gathered and verified evidence, interviewed sources and witnesses, analyzed records, and communicated with local law enforcement agencies to achieve a 99.3% case resolution rate.
- Prepared reports detailing investigative findings in more than 56 felony investigations and assisted in more than 340 federal investigations, resulting in a measurable reduction of illicit drug activity affecting 60,000+ personnel.
- Investigated illegal drug activity, larcenies, and various other violations of federal code statues, leading to the apprehension and prosecution of 5 major drug distribution rings as well as the seizure of thousands of dollars of controlled substances.
- Determined the scope, timing, momentum, and direction of investigations to drive decision-making and meet time-sensitive needs/requirements.
- Achieved a reputation for thoroughness, efficiency, and the ability to quickly build rapport with individuals from diverse backgrounds and situations.
With my deep expertise in performing all facets of criminal case investigation—complemented by my inherent interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills—I am ready to provide outstanding service on your team. I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Gary E. Hogan
Crime Investigator Cover Letter
For such an exciting and demanding career, you need an effective and well written cover letter and resume. The cover letter is an introductory document that provide some additional information and also to highlight your skills and experience. The best thing about these letters is they can be customized and tailored according to the company's requirement and needs.
Before you start writing your cover letter, it is important to know what it should contain.
- It should include the main purpose of sending your cover letter in addition to the job profile you are would like to apply for. You can inquire about your future employment possibilities.
- You can also state how you have learned about the job post. This could be the job site, an employment website. If you are referred by someone, make sure you include his or her name.
- The objective of the cover letter is to make the reader read your resume. Hence it is necessary you convince them to read your resume.
- Highlight your credentials and skills that are relevant to the job post. This is an important paragraph which will tell the employer whether you are eligible for the job post or not.
- Besides showing your eligibility and experience, the cover letter also helps to show your written skills.
- The letter should reflect your personality and attitude. It should show how serious regarding about the job post.
- Another good thing about cover letter is that you can include something such as when can you meet the interviewer or reference date.
The sample cover letter for criminal investigator will show you some important tips and guidelines to write one on your own.
Company Name and Address:
Dear Mr. / Ms. (Employer's Last Name),
I am interested to apply for the position of a criminal investigator in your department (mention the name here). I have been in this field for the last ten years and have handled a lot of complex crime investigation scene. As asked in the job post, I have enclosed my resume with this letter that will give you a detail of my work experience.
I have been a part of the territorial police forces and had been in the crime investigation department for ten years. Here my key role was to study an entire scene and include all the minute details that occurred in a crime scene and deduce what may have occurred at that time. In my ten years of service, I have solved many cases. I am a good investigator and can interview people to get evidence of the case I am working on. Before coming down to a conclusion, I make sure that I have done proper investigations and research of the case. I have a degree as a laboratory technician which is extremely important to uncover the evidence such as examining weapons, clothing samples and fingerprints. I also have a degree in criminal justice and am aware of law enforcement as well.
I would be glad if we can meet up for a follow up interview and discuss on this further. You can call me at (insert contact details) or drop me an email at (mention your email address).
Thank you for your valuable time and considering my letter.
Enclosures: Resume and Work Experience Certificates
The criminal investigator cover letter is an excellent way to show that the reader that you have the qualities and skills that is required to make you an ideal applicant for the post. The letter should generally portray you as the right applicant for the job post.